Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Heat Wave

Guys. It's hot. Too hot to sleep. Definitely too hot to even THINK about turning on the stove, or god forbid, the oven. And I have not spoken to a single person this week, in any region of the country, where this isn't the case.

It's just unpleasant.

That being said, I haven't updated in several weeks. But I have had a handful of mini Gastro-adventures. A lovely mozzarella tomato basil salad with John last week. Truffle pizza with Masha and Mike. (So good! Why didn't I think of that?) Burgers on the 4th of July. And I tried rose flavored ice cream at a lovely little shop in Cambridge. (The first bite was beautiful. ROSE FLAVORED ICE CREAM! But I will not be ordering an entire bowl of it again, not even a small one. There is a reason rose is used as a palette cleanser between the big stuff, or as a sprinkle of fun on an otherwise familiar dish. A whole bowl of rose flavored ice cream crawls into your throat and your nose and under your tongue and becomes far too much of a good thing very quickly. But I'm glad I tried it.) There has been good food these past several weeks, but there has also been sweat, and bad feelings and disrupted REM cycles. Therefore, bearing the weather in mind, please enjoy the following (fire-free) foray into the world of salsa. Sweet and spicy, salty and creamy, and most importantly, best served cool.

Heat Wave Salsa

1 Avocado
1 Large ripe tomato
1 Peach
1 Lime
3 cloves garlic
Salt
Black pepper
Cayenne pepper

Dice the tomato, peach, and avocado with a medium-fine dice--Small enough that the components can easily come together as a salsa, but not so fine that they begin to break down and become mushy. (Especially important concerning the avocado.) Drain excess liquid from the tomato if necessary. Mince the garlic, and combine with tomato, peach, and avocado in a large bowl. Add the juice of 1 lime, plus salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste. Stir ingredients together gently, turning with the spoon so that the avocado doesn't fall apart. Enjoy with pita chips and central air.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, and I forgot to mention, for anyone who feels like trying this one out. A tablespoon or so of sugar in the mix helps bring everything together, especially if your peaches aren't at the peak of ripeness. And it helps keep the flavor from becoming too acidic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rose ice cream made me smile. 32 years ago, when I was working for a NYC law firm, a couple of the attorneys took me to a Japanese restaurant for lunch, and one of them insisted I order the red bean ice cream, which he insisted was fantastic. It was gritty and, as far as I can recall, lacked any real flavor of any kind. I love beans. I love ice cream? Bean ice cream? Think again.

    ReplyDelete