Friday, July 9, 2010

Challenge Response: Caribbean Shrimp



So it's still hot, but not as hot as it has been; That is to say, not so hot that I can't turn on my stove for fear that my apartment would sizzle and burst into flames. Not so hot that even entering my poorly ventilated little kitchen would be inviting a fainting spell. So I decided that tonight had to be the night. It was time to stop procrastinating.

I had to meet my challenge.

Oh yeah, remember the challenge? The one that I invited, then failed horribly with my mango chutney scallop disaster? And swore that I would re-attempt? Weeks ago? That challenge.

To recap, the challenge went as follows: Create a dish that uses shellfish as the key ingredient, is gluten free, and has some sort of unexpected ingredient combo that makes your mouth go, "huh...Wow!" In addition, the whole shebang should feed 2 for under $20, with leftovers. Which is A-LOT of challenge indeed, but I felt up to the task. But then again I felt up to it last time. When i ended up ordering pizza.

So first of all...SURPRISE! That lovely peach salsa that i posted a couple days ago? Rocks a featured role in this meal. And As far as I'm concerned fulfills the requirement for the "where did you come up with that?" ingredient dance, with the unexpected but completely fun combo of peach and cayenne. The rest of it is actually fairly simple: Grilled shrimp marinated in black pepper and lime. Heat Wave Salsa. And Coconut rice. The lime gives a little zip to the shellfish without overwhelming the shrimp's own natural flavor. The acid of the salsa snuggles right up against the creamy sweetness of the rice and does a little cha-cha. And the best part? Excluding basics I always keep in my kitchen, (like spices and olive oil) using my grocery Store's rewards card and a little bit of discriminating shopping, the ingredients for this recipe cam in at just over $18. And as for leftovers? We would have had some. If Mr. Gastro and I hadn't gone back for seconds.

Caribbean Shrimp with Coconut Rice
1 Lb Shelled, de-veined shrimp
juice of 1 lime
salt
Black pepper
Olive oil
1 cup long grained white rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 batch of Heat Wave Salsa (see previous entry)

First, whip up some of that yummy peachy salsa that you learned to make just the other day, and set aside in the refrigerator. Don't eat all of it. Save some for dinner.

In a large bowl whisk together the juice of 1 lime, and an equal amount of olive oil (approximately 1/4 cup), along with a pinch of salt and a generous amount of cracked black pepper. Toss with 1 pound of rinsed, dried jumbo shrimp. Set aside.

In a sauce pan combine 1 cup of water with 1 cup coconut milk and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil on the stove top. Add i cup of rice and immediately cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Grill the marinated shrimp on high heat for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until the tails turn pink and the shrimp are opaque all the way through. Fluff the rice, and plate with grilled shrimp and a generous scoop of peach salsa. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Oh fabulous gastro-junkie, I thought I'd share my favorite summer-salsa recipe. MA is usually a little behind VA harvest-wise, so maybe when you all get plums you can try this. Goes well with pork or seafood. :-) I made it to accompany grilled pork loin for fathers day.

    Spicy Plum Salsa

    5-6 small yellow plums or 3 of the average-sized purple plums, diced.... See More
    1 roma or plum tomato, seeded and diced.
    1/2 red onion, diced.
    1 clove elephant garlic, diced.
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced.
    Small bunch of mint leaves, chopped.
    Juice of 1 lime
    Dash of olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

    Just mix it all together and let it sit for awhile in the fridge. I left it overnight and the flavors were spot on. You get the sweetness of the fruit and the hint of heat first, but the mint gives it a cool finish. It would probably be tasty made with peaches instead of plums if you like them better.

    Love to you and Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! This is definitely a recipe I'm going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happily intrigued! I would love to try this recipe! Awesome challenge response!

    The salsa listed by Neen also looks tasty - hooray for food inspiration!

    ReplyDelete