Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rainy Day Treat

I've never been that big a fan of hot chocolate.

The stuff in the packets never did much for me, bringing nothing but sweet, cloying, one note flavor that barely warrants having the word chocolate placed in the same sentence, let alone emblazoned across the packaging. Homemade hot chocolate was always better, but even with the hot chocolate my Mom would make on a snowy day, the appeal always had more to do with nostalgia than flavor.

Then food buddy John turned me on to Mexican hot chocolate over the Winter and changed my whole perception of what hot chocolate could be. Rich, sweet, sure, but also spicy and complicated, this was everything I had ever wanted in a cup of cocoa but had never found. The secret it turns out is in the heat. A pinch of chili powder or cayenne gives this sweet treat a little burn, and wakes up your taste buds just in time to appreciate all that rich, decadent cocoa.

I know Spring has officially sprung, but even the springtime can bring with it its own special brand of wet, clammy cold. What could be better then, than a nice rich cup of hot chocolate, and a little spice to turn on that internal furnace? My recipe makes just the right amount for a single serving, since this is one I like to indulge in while I curl up alone with a book and a blanket, but it can be multiplied depending on the crowd.

Hot Chocolate
1 1/2 cups milk
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon

Place the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sift the cocoa into the milk through a mesh strainer to remove lumps, and whisk in thoroughly. Add sugar, vanilla, and seasonings, and stir constantly until warm. Enjoy with thick fuzzy socks and a good book.

1 comment: