Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Challenge

Hello there fellow Gastro-Junkies. So some of you may have been noticing that the frequency of my entries has fallen off a little bit these past couple weeks. Never fear, I am not throwing in the towel, far from it. I am however settling into a new job, and therefore dealing with a still unsettled financial situation, and of course less sleep, and less free time to daydream about all the wonderful things I can cook up while I'm home!

That being said, I do truly believe in being able to have your cake and eat it too (So to speak). Or in this case, have your job and food blog too. But sometimes we all need a little motivation, and so I concocted this little game we can all play together:

I am opening up the comment section of this, and every blog entry to follow for you guys to issue me challenges. These challenges can be whatever you please, ranging from "Morgan, make something using eggplant and Brie! And potato chips!" to "Create a meal for two for less than ten dollars!" or, "Develop a four course meal featuring peanut butter in every course, a la Iron Chef!" It can be whatever you want. The more creative the better. Please refrain from suggestions involving outrageous monetary commitment (No caviar pizza), but strange ingredients, monetary restrictions, multiple courses, new and challenging cooking techniques...bring it on. Make my day.

I like this plan for three reasons: 1) It provides me with a constant influx of new and entertaining cooking challenges, even ones I might not come up with on my own, always a good thing. 2) It gets you guys involved, and I am always a fan of audience participation. And 3) It helps me get to know you guys! Now to be fair, I'm pretty certain I know a lot of you, but there have been a couple times that I've looked at my little blogger tracker thingy (technical jargon) and thought, "You know, I'm not certain I know anyone in Australia," or "Who could that be in Florida?" And I want to hear from you guys! I want a great big, tasty, juicy, meeting of the gastro-minded from all over the place.

So go ahead, throw some ideas out there, and see what sticks. And I shall report back with all of the silly, tasty, hilarious details.

5 comments:

  1. First challenge! Yay!

    My challenge: Something that is -

    ~Gluten-free
    ~Seafood is a main ingredient (shellfish is a plus, but I will leave that open)
    ~Involves ingredient OR spices (or both) that makes you go, "Um, what?" - i.e. it shouldn't go together, but it does

    I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (the boy has an addendum to my challenge: "Dinner for 2, $20 or less, with leftovers." I like my challenge as is, but I thought I would add that additional bit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh peas. I've got pods hanging on my vines out back going, "Eat me! Eat me!"

    Wow, that just sounds wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you totally stole my eggplant idea in your examples :)

    I'd like you to make for me (I do get to try this, right?) something using eggplant as the main ingredient, but not like your typical eggplant parm or eggplant pizza type of thing. Also, it must be something I can pick up and eat with my hands, be cheese free, and you get bonus points if you can give it just a hint of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Please bare in mind, I know nothing about the complexities of food, so this is just something that popped into my brain, lol)

    How about something that uses as many colors from the rainbow as possible? Bonus points if it is kid-friendly, or if it includes purple potatoes (my personal favorite oddly colored food, lol).

    Also, I never tell you this, Mo, but I looooove reading your blog. I don't know crap about food, but the passion with which you write is amazing, and I still think there's some of the girl who made my high school existence lovely in you, even if she is a wise, mature woman now.

    ReplyDelete